Don't Call It By Name

Letting the monster loose
I'm never quite sure where he goes
They say it's a killer
Leaves a trail of complications
For me it's the little things

An apple that is sweet
When it appears to be tart
Not hitting my hat
When I enter a car
Finding my train pass
When it has been misplaced

This dedicated beast
Is a stealthy hunter
Most of the time
I don't know where it is
Sometimes forgetting it exists at all
If I were asked to locate it
On the fly
I would choose to deny
Opting to discredit
Its entire existence

Each season has its own balance
Of darkness and light
Dryness and moisture
Each day having a unique combination
And a unique affect
Seen in the prowl
Stalk
And denning

When all else fails
It becomes apparent
In small doses
In tiny crevices
In tight squeezes

It's funny to think
That one of the only safety measures
Is to squeeze another person
Tightly
It may not even work
For the first minute or two
But after a while
The creature will withdraw
Knowing full well
That nothing of its kind
Can penetrate the clutches
Of a superior hug
--
4.8.08

Comments