Incomplete

Some things
Just never get done
Watering plants
Replacing watch batteries
Calling in prescriptions
These things
Occupy a forgettable part in the brain
Either that
Or I am running at full capacity
My head about to burst
Confetti cannons cocked
Ready to blow
Who knows what
All over the place

I wonder if this is the same part of the brain
That is supposed to keep me awake while driving
This is a task
That could easily go awry
So far so good
But how long
Can I go on
With my eyelids
Half cocked
And ready to blow
Metal and flesh
Across Southern State

Reading as well
Is a doormat for exhaustion
If tired is knocking
Reading is opening the door
Also in the brain
An annoyance of sorts
Seems to apply
When I can't keep my mind
From
Wandering
I can read the same passage over
Three or four times
Before truly being able
To
Commit
To the words on the page
If I'm trying to listen in
On a conversation
On
The
Train
I could be stuck
On the same three words
For minutes at a time
At least it feels that way
The same is true
For people that talk too loud
So
Shut
Up
I'm trying to read

Getting things done
Can take just about all
All that I have
And more
Whether that be
Self medicating
Or finishing a good read
--
4.11.08

Comments