Cheaters

My partner dreamt of cheating
I didn't have it in me
To tell her
I have these dreams too

In these dreams
I am usually with ex-lovers
Or twisted up with some combination
Of what was, what is, and what will always be
Beautiful about a woman

When my partner began to cry
All I could do was blame it on stress
But deep inside I knew
It was much more complicated than that
But all I need to know
Is that we love each other

We are not cheaters
Because it is not our nature
We are both smart enough to know
That it would crush us both

In those dark places
Where the images of skin
Bleed to be touched
Our animals, unleashed
Smile big and moan loud

And that's ok
Because in the light
I can put it all together
And here I know
My woman is every woman
And the only woman I care to know

She is all my lovers
I am all her lovers
Not just in the dark
But for those of us
Who must
Walk around in the light
Where the last thing we would want to be
Is a cheater
--
5.31.06

Comments