Undertones

Why is it undertones of greatness
Like grey pencil strokes
Shadowing an otherwise perfectly clean slate
Even slate can weigh you down
And I guess that's why we drink wine

A kiss from the dog
A coffee
A little news worthy television
A shower
Right around the time I get to putting on my belt
It's crash bam boom
And instantly it might as well be raining
But it's not
And that must be why people start the day with grapefruit

Eyes shift into concern and modes of fear
Or maybe just interest
Either way it's a shackle on my neck
A splinter in my patience
A rag shoved in my gas tank
And like a rabid venomous mirror
I furrow the laugh lines around my mouth
And I guess that's why they call it Club Med

Like moonwalkers
Those before me
I feel like they are raggedymen
Or some distant shape from the world of sleep
Still boldly going
Still persevering
Or just proving by way of repetition
That this was the life we all chose
And those that can't teach
Dance at the disco
And that's the secret of horseradish

For millions of years it's been the same
But I'll never fucking listen
Never let these truths sink in
Because it's my reality to pervert
Or twist like a tie around a bag of bread ends
Because now it's biscotti and bruschetta
But in some distant kiln
It was the best that you could wish for
On a day when the dinosaurs are moving slow
And the volcano has found its cork
There's a bloody hole in the entire thing
And it is to be treated with ash and soot
And that's why they call it mother
--
8.9.07

Comments