A Meditation

All the leading doctors
Gathered in one room
Can’t agree
Stress is healthful
Stress is the number one killer

As anyone can imagine
I’m rooting for health
A selfish backing
But easier to explain
Than advocating stress
I despise stress
Keeping my enemy so close
I can feel it pulsing
In my very heart
Throbbing in my own head
Living alongside the lactic acid
In every one of my muscles

Naturally
I would like to rid myself
Stress
People say meditate
I say
Stick a rusty dirt aerator in your chest
And twist
Mind your business
Or better yet
Just get the fuck out of my way

I used to blame my vices
The ones I used to have
But don’t anymore
Vices
Now I just assume
This is what getting older is about
Either that
Or I need more space between me
And other people on this planet
And yet
I want to procreate
In my cranky state
I entertain the notion
That hormones
From babies
Are soothing
I contemplate
Why I am here
I wonder why
I am so much like
Everyone I hate

Spring is coming
I wish it would find me
Sooner
Find me
On this train
At this moment
And tell me
With sunshine
That everything is going to be okay
With vitamin D
And a beautiful blush
On the inside of my eyelids
Washing over me
In a peaceful power
So that I needn’t feel
Like I want to disappear

On some freight train
Some man sits
Having given everything up
Contemplating
How everything ever got
So messed up

In some hospital
Some baby crying
Is the most wonderful sound
Two people have ever heard
--
3.18.08

Comments