Kids

Not like a slow drip
A sudden flow
Kids
On the train
Daily riders get uncomfortable
Pray they quiet down
"Please god"
"Silence their youthful exuberance"
It's a field trip
The nemesis of regularity
On a Thursday
None the less
It's so funny
Their squeaky little voices
Instantly raise the heart rate
They are well behaved
For the most part
'Science Rocks'
On one girl's shirt
It could say
'Cannibal Corpse'
Or 'My Chemical Romance'
But it doesn't
And we should all be thankful for that
They bring down the decibels
Voluntarily
But still
Every adult
Stuck in their own pattern
Thinks to themselves
"I thought I dropped the kids at school"
"Why is my blood pressure doing a double Lindy"
"My only peace in life; broken"
"I love my kids; I hate yours"
Or maybe that's just me
The guy without kids
Somehow taking pleasure
In whatever turmoil they are creating
Mostly because
Breeders get what they deserve
I will too someday
But until then
I can giggle with the kids
Sneezing and gabbing and slurring their words
With braces on their teeth
And juice boxes
And the buddy system
The teacher is the loudest one in their group
And I want to tell her
To shut up
The youth are speaking
And I want to hear
What they have to say
It's refreshing
And if nothing else
It annoys those that annoy me
Enemy of my enemy
(getting older)
With snotty hands
And dirty sneakers
One of the kids
On the way out
Is saying
"What's up y'all"
To all the passengers on the train
He feels invisible
Ignored
And is testing the waters
Wondering why adults are so damn rigid
I hope I surprised him
When I opened my eyes wide
Threw him a pointed finger
And said
"What's up?"

What is up
I think it's different
Depending on who you ask
For some it's a thousand odd steps to work
For others
It's a thousand steps they haven't walked before
Don't be mad
That as you get older
You get punished for not knowing things
There is no excitement
Unless science does rock
And that's enough to keep you going
Like ice cream flavors
Or sparkly shoes
--

Comments