I, Submarine

Reading German, I dropped my comb
Slithering back to a simple cup of coffee, I found my hairline and
wondered when it might give me away
In a grave delay, I porcupined all my measly rib thoughts
Shuffled to the nearest newspaper dispensing shadow, curled into a
ball, and wished for the canoe to make a comeback
What people do in private is starting to effect my work
The leather trim on an otherwise canvas bag is beginning to tell the
complete story
Upon dividing my time between shaving back the evidence and procuring
things that don't speak, I ran head on into a dilemma:
Bury the hash so the earth can do its job,
or lease a new glass box to display my shrunken member in
As I remembered this dichotomy, it simultaneously dawned on my neatly
chiseled cabbage rows that I was farming for potatoes
Which isn't a bad habit for someone whose relatives faced mass
extinction
As opposed to those bobbing souls that have already passed through the
fingerly spaces of those buttery claws
While dreading all the alternatives, I bound my feet in freshly
pressed four hundred thread count linen
Remembering that my accent should be barely seen and never attached to
a grommet
A little later, I was reminded of highland scotch that gave peace for
pennies and then for dollars; gifts for overlayers and pavers that
need a distraction
Out in the deep sea of hidden blue and skirting black lies a ping
It's a liar, never pinging in a blood red ripple
It should fall past other lost answers and find its place tucked
neatly between anemone and shrimp bed
This provides all the hope this shuffled deck will ever need
While the captain played poker, I scratched my eyes out
And, looking for a reason to keep staring into the swimming hole, I
found my hairline, walked along the edge of the mirthy deep path, and
let my toes breathe the mud for a while
--
3.19.09

Comments