Lost Dog

Driving back to Eden
I stopped on the side of the road
A deer had been hit
And it didn't look to be in good shape
Not good enough to make it
Not good enough to eat
It looked thirsty;
but I had no water
I thought I could bury it;
if I only had a shovel
I thought I could take it in to town;
if I only had the time
All I had to offer was my company;
a few moments
I peed behind a tree since I was fairly certain my byproduct would not
be drinkable
When I got back to where my car was parked, there were only tread marks
The deer was gone and a path of blood and streaky dirt could be traced
to where my car was parked

I walked back to Eden
When I got there
Everything was gone
No ice cream shoppe
No shoe shine
An old lamp post had a handmade posting attached to it with staples
It said, "Lost dog. Lost everything."
I thought about what I might do
I sat down on the dusty ground
In a crossed legged position
And waited
--
6.11.09

Comments