Moving South

Everything sugared
Can't stop to photograph
trees
or rooftops
Don't have my good camera anyway
let it seep in
knowing
it will disappear
into thin air
and thick skull

When dumpsters are filled
with fluffy white snow
It seems as if
that is their purpose
To hold snow
that is
Haul it off to some tropical island
Quickly
as a novelty
hurry hurry
before it melts

The efficiency of shovel
and cool air in the nostrils
Left shoulder gets tired
switch to right
Back gets tired
switch back to left
Like this
whole villages are built
and destroyed
with some food in the belly
You'll be okay
Until at least lunchtime

Sliding around in the slush
in car or on foot
is a momentary narcotic
when for a split second
you're not sure
what is going to happen
That bad knee
or pinching ankle
will feel worse
But only after
That slippy slide
that makes me feel
young and focused

Careful with the shovel not to pull up dirt
When the plow comes it will reverse the destiny
Magically
All the salt going down the drainage grate
Into the sewer
We'll laugh
Because we don't smoke
and because I had to change pants
Eventually the wood will grow hard again
and patience will escape me
I'll forget to shop for a snow blower
One more season
My neighbor will clear my walk
Until my kids can watch
Through a window
or cheer me on with a sign
Have a snowball fight
or just make a syrup moat
Around a pancake castle
and make it snow
powdered sugar
You can do that anywhere
--
2.11.10

Comments