The grave digger

Perhaps the wine
causing me to slip
soundly to sleep
with no midnight stirring
no bathroom visit
or waking dream state
is to blame
for the lack of musings
this morning

Or perhaps
my inability
to pull the beauty
of the outside world
in, through the sealed windows
of the morning boxcar
is just the tragedy
that strikes
unassuming artisans
everywhere

If I were a baker, perchance
I could dream up a glorious loaf
while sitting right here
on this vinyl seat;
the shades of shiraz and ripe blueberry
inspiring me to make
a wonderfully spun tract
of sticky starts
thus rising into something divine
something to be shared
a thing for the soul

But, alas
I am not a baker
not today
the shapes that pass by me
much slower than the speed of light
but too fast to catch
will go unappreciated
they all look the same
in a book, on a postcard
across the spans of these windows -
today I pour concrete
or paint the hallways eggshell
which is fine
because some days
we dig graves
and maybe today nothing
is better than something
--
4.30.10

Comments

Unknown said…
I am so in love with your writing. The fact that you can write about not being able to write with such elegance astounds me.
Jessica said…
Can you recall your dreams?
Enri Zoltz said…
Thanks, girl. As I heard in the dialogue of The International this weekend, "when you are faced with a problem and you can't find a way out, you must find a way to go deeper in." Or, something like that... I'm glad that you are enjoying the commute :)
Enri Zoltz said…
Jessica:

I can recall parts of my dreams...sometimes. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I tend to be able to catch some good pieces of my dreams. I like to remember if possible, but I do not keep a dream journal or anything like that. For a few days there, I was waking up and using that little piece as the center of my morning poem. Something that warranted some expanding or expounding, in my own mind. Do you remember your dreams?
Jessica said…
I cannot recall the details, but can usually remember people. I tend to dream in something similar to claymation, which is usually more interesting than the actual dream.