What I Do Have

In a standing demonstration
Secluded from the group
And, leaning against the wall
Uncomfortably
I win over the train conductor
Who asks me what color my monthly is
The one I forgot at home

Needless to say
Most likely impressed by my ability
To find a private area to discuss this matter
Not making him appear weak
Or taking his power for granted
Asking a favor
Man to man
And then, standing the entire ride
As a penitent gesture
Despite the sea of open seats

Taking this approach
Head on
But leaning to the side upon impact
Allowing someone else to have the prudence
To make a decision
Based on gut
Is a rare opportunity these days
And it could have gone differently
With gruff words exchanged
After some embarrassing begging
Then, an aggravated early departure
From this vessel
That safely transports
So many
From point A
To point B
And back again
--
7.2.10

Comments