In going european

In going european
I left the car and took my bike
I locked it up haphazardly
Leaving the front wheel completely free to be taken
Hoping that my neighborhood has its own concentric justice
Should someone decide to force me to walk home
Even though the locks themselves are different from the ones used overseas
A lock by its very nature should prevent a good deal of mischief

In doing so: european
I ran out of the house
Left my bag and all extraneous items
Having courage that I didn't need them
I had my phone and my keys and my train-pass
I had paper money and a credit card
I could buy a coffee and a breakfast bread of some kind
I could buy a small lunch if I felt the need or got hungry
All my work is at work
All that it should be;
Not my life or life blood or life's work
Just my office, just my machines, just my boss

In doing life this way, european
More exactly, new amsterdamish
Or suburban hollandese
I made my train
Felt exhilarated from a nice bike ride
And, felt empowered by giving left, right, and forward signals to car traffic that seemed oddly afraid to get in the way of my new system
I don't know what my wife is going to make for dinner
but I have a feeling it's going to taste good
--
1.20.11

Comments

Enri Zoltz said…
will do - I am not much of an editor when it comes to photos, but look for a flickr link soon :)