Nimby

It is my job
To write this to you
You may find yourself lost
And this might help
If what you've lost
Matches closely to what I've lost
It will draw you in
And you will feel as though a warm blanket
Has been thrown over you

That little bit that has evaporated,
the humanity
Hidden in the liquid to gas exchange
Is now what we share
Like a trivalent bond
Out in the ether
Those rings slipping in and out of us
As we breathe
And huff
And cough

Tomorrow I will have dinner
Somewhere exclusive enough
To keep out the riff-raff
And I will bow my head
And look at my food
Anytime I see someone struggling
Just outside the window
I know that someday
I will struggle
And I will pay no mind
To the dandies in the window

But breathing the same air
Listless and without compassion
I will select some part of some carcass
To rip into, delicately
With a toothy knife
And some spirits to wash my throat clean
I will not choose randomly
But rather based on conviction
That conviction, that my guts are connected to my brain
And these things that pass through me
Have some higher meaning

I will retire to bed
And pull up the covers
I will pretend to sleep
And think about struggle
I will sweat and clutch my pillow
Hoping that all the atrocities known to man
Will be disappeared when I awake
But those things don't just vanish
Their alleviation requires vigilance and determination
And so I will go to work
Where I can read about it
Or listen to the news
Mostly I will pray
That these things don't happen to me
--
2.13.12

Comments