Don't You See

I can't say for sure
But there was a magician I encountered
Who could will things into being
A real shapeshifter
Then a deal maker
And then again a trick

Somewhere
Say Kentucky
Or RFK
There was an instance
Where I saw Joshua
In a suit
With a briefcase
In the briefcase were cigarette proofs
Proofs of purchase
Called dollars or miles
Depending on the brand
But this case was filled
And they were all neatly bundled
Like drug money
Like a movie
And Joshua likely had enough for 3 pool tables
I have no idea what he did with them all

There came a time
After a long while
That we forgot
Kids named Dogstar
Dirty kids that could survive on smoke and beer
I say we forgot
But I don't know for sure
I know I forgot
That road that came
Picked me up
Took me north
Not for the last time
But with some permanence
Now a fact of some other tale
A less engaging one
But not without reason
Or meaning
Or proof
--
9.27.13

Evening Dispatch
3 of 4 final poems

Comments