We build stamina




I try to pretend there are no windows
No views to absorb through the skull
No dreamy, foggy, beautifully creamy scenes to spread across my constitution 
Because I am building stamina
And it's a full time job

I am going to the gym 
To live longer 
Stand up for more years than I will need to sit or be dragged along in some kind of wagon 
So I can provide for a longer period of time
So as not to be a burden
To those who have chosen me as their champion
Because I am building stamina
And it's almost always killing me

I am not talking about emotional stamina;
In that department I am a cartoon bundle of dynamite
Walking along the thin edge of the longest yard upon yard stick ever
And even so -- I am building stamina
Because I have not yet taken out a bridge
Nor have I begun the process of boring a hole to temper the blast or excavate precious emotional mineral content
And so, stamina
It is still being framed up

The Jews read the Talmud
A crusty compilation
Commentary on commentary
Like an archaic sportscast about the afterlife
And in these hidden rules wrapped in laws bound by decision from up high
They build stamina by breaking down everything else
Do you think they don't?

We fortify hinges
Sell out stadiums
Create waterproof seams
Splatter insignias on everything
Cast lights
Fill prescriptions
We build stamina
But for how long (?)


Comments