Last night I got drunk

Last night I got drunk
And gave my wife and mother-in-law
The what for
In regards to our future business venture
I tried to explain the intricate problems
That can come about
When going into business
With friends and family
Everyone likes to think about the honky-dory
But no one wants to talk disaster prevention
And that is why disasters exist
For that very reason
Either way
I have not yet learned how to keep
My fucking mouth shut
And will no doubt become
A cynical, over bearing prick
If I am not already
And maybe someday I'll learn
That my opinions are always downers
At least when discussing
My small amassed fortune
And the protection of that
Little collection of future sustainence
That could all be gone
In an instant
And if I shut up for long enough
And the bitterness sets in
What a pretty thing that will be
And I wonder what the elders did
Way back when
Ten men in a sweat lodge
Discussuing the uses of deerskin
Only to find
It had been put to use for something else
And I wonder if those men just shut up
And got drunk
And laughed it off
With all possible methods employed
To keep from saying those four dreaded words
That have forever put men in a dog house
Built by their own two hands
In the hands of two other
Much more powerful
Softer
Gentler
Hands
That sometime cover the eyes when saying
I should've listened
But find a place
Across the chest
When those words
Which I shouldn't even mention
Might one day get uttered
In a hail of salt and irritation
Or rather
That is the antidote
Which keeps those four
Sometimes very masculine words
Deep inside our own
Heavy
Tired
Chests
Just a simple reminder
Of what once was
Both inclusive
And exclusive
Ten letters
Said everyday
In so many other non-toxic combinations
Put together
In such a way
In such an instance
Can be so volatile
And potentially devastating
That they are better left in our heads
And they are known by all
And known to all situations
That end with the words
Don't Say It
And yet the satisfaction is almost as good
But not quite the same
As those sweet and salty words
I Told You So
--
2.8.07

Comments