This Morning

Something happened this morning
I woke up tired but happy
All the commercials on TV seemed funny
And my coffee
Which was not a particularly special brew
Tasted remarkably good
I even looked at a beer in the fridge and said
A sandwich and a beer would make a fine lunch!
Of course nowadays no one drinks a beer with lunch
Consumption like that
A known mood altering substance taken without a prescription
Is generally frowned upon
If not
Outright forbidden
But still I thought
Perhaps
A nice cold beer would be good
With a sandwich

Maybe it's Spring
With its promise of reflection and heat
The commitment to suck up to water
And make friends with the minerals
Which reminds me
When the weather is nice
I will have to meet the new neighbors
Let them pet my dog
Introduce my wife
Quite possibly tell them about my choice of career
And wait for them to tell me about their own modest hunt for income
All this as a celebration of the land we own
And the steps we take to insure our way of life
Which everyone should know
That no one really knows what that could be
So long as you don't end up on the news

On the train to work
The man behind me kept up with his
Sneezing and coughing and carrying on
And all I could think was
I'm going on vacation in two days
Please don't make of mess of things
By passing off your ode to Winter
Let the sun make its quiet
Yet oh so powerful appearance
Upon the skin of this giddy metropolitan
Who could use a sandwich and a beer
--
2.12.07

Comments