Quatre

Rage is a four-letter word
Unless it's performed flawlessly
And then it can be elegant like the jungle

I am beginning to notice
That lawyers tend to develop a twitch
Somewhere around their fourth year of practice

All of this is pointless
If the train is running four minutes late
Since that can relieve stress like nobody's business
Nothing makes for great day like catching a train you thought you surely missed
But tried for anyway

Persistence is my favorite word
I think
Or at the very least
An attribute I admire
In myself
And would consider
A tattooed version
On my body
Or attaching it to the birth certificate
Of one of my children
Maybe the fourth
Although I doubt we'll aim that high

In god we trust
Is on our money
But I'm not sure
We even know what that means
I sure don't
I mean I comprehend the concept
But haven't gathered thus far
That we
Hold this belief to be true
Or even hold this belief
Together
Which kind of underscores the we
But could you imagine
If it was
God trusts us
That would be a hoot

Four score and seven years ago
I don't think I've lived that long
In fact I am pretty sure I haven't
But that's a memorable way to start a speech
Instead of saying
For instance
Sixty three years ago
Which from today
Would be around the time
My grandfather was in world war two
I think he was in france
Or some other axis country
Building bridges
And then blowing them up

Those world wars weren't very popular
As far as titles go
Since you would think
We would have already seen
World war three or four
The way people act
Nowadays
I'm not quite sure what qualifies
Is it the banding together of countries
Into two world powers
Or is it the use of world ending firepower
That makes that distinction
Because we now have gulf war syndrome
Which is a treatable medical condition
Similar to smallpox
Which was popular during world war one

I think there was a four-year war once
I don't think it lasted four years
Maybe five
By the time you do all the paperwork
Damn bureaucrats
But with rage being all the rage
Nowadays
You'd think there'd be more
Names for war
--
9.5.07

Comments