Things We Have

Bing bang boom
I like to say
Completing a task
In a timely manner
Really more like breakneck
Something made easy
Something good and easy

A part of me is broken
Lifeless and weak
I think it's the part of me
That tries to be rational
Or make sound arguments
Because I am seemingly
Unsuccessful

Part of me is alive
Alive and well and living on Long Island
Thriving
Shucking the world
Like an oyster
Jacking the good stuff
And leaving the other eighty percent
Behind

Jeez
Is an expression I use in both jest
And complete seriousness
I guess it's more of an utterance
That I learned from my wife
Saved mostly for when you feel attacked
You being me
Me being us

There are so many ways to feel
On any given day
It changes so drastically
From one minute to the next
That I'm never sure
Where I stand
On the outskirts of happiness
Within the city walls of satisfaction
Picking fleas from a million dollar dog
Sewing up holes with golden thread
Harnessing the warmth of a hundred candles

This is all to say
That where there is life
There is love
And regret
Not regret for the things we have
Or have not done
Regret that comes with the passing of time
For all the dreams that shouldn't come true
And all the time left

Love is a different story
Filled with realizations
Growth and understanding
A flippant pursuit
That answers most
If not all
Of the basic queries
And leaves time alone
To further divide
What we have
And have not done
--
2.15.08

Comments