Breadbox

With so many ways to see the sprawl
Why wouldn't you choose
The great fluorescent breadbox?

Some might say you lose your freedom
But, as with anything
You lose one kind and gain another

Here there is the crux of time
Stopped dead
For your utter convenience

Patiently reading his paper
With two feet firmly planted
On illusion
A gentleman in a trench coat
Awaits the great arrival

A woman
Across from me
Has finished penciling in her pencil thin eyebrows
And now highlights
Some unknown documents

Yet another patron fades into obscurity
His mind popping and trilling
A veritable orchestra in his head
A show that only he can appreciate
Those of us out here get a different show
Not really worth watching
For very long

As I finish my apple
I think about my uncomfortable chest
And wonder if I have pneumonia

But today I am calm
And could probably handle the news
On most days I would want to spit in someone's mouth

Proud graduates
Poorly frosted hair
Chiffon scarves
And solemn looks

I couldn't trade this for the world
Because this is the world
At least in here
Our shared time machine
Poly vinyl interior
Faux terrazzo and slate
With hints of royal blue and lapis
Who would want to leave this wonderland?
If there were a food car
We could ride this until the earth curved
And continue right off the edge

But the truth is
We've been riding the curve
Forever
And will continue to do so
Otherwise
Why read the paper
Or pencil in your eyebrows

We could ride this thing to Thunderdome
And fight to the death
Each passenger left with what they brought
Plus the spoils of the fallen
And wouldn't we just be
The best little breadbox on earth
But instead
We should probably all get to work
Since someone ought to notice
We've all been gone
For longer than a weekend
--
3.31.08

Comments