Opening Statements

As to not mix and match projects:
This is not the coffee table book I have met with my friends about
This is not the nutrition course I am behind in
This is not the bio-diesel plan for the backyard
This is not the insurance claim for my totaled hybrid car
This is not my job, bringing Christmas cheer to nationwide arenas
(it's May for Christ's sake)
This not the grammar book I am halfway through
This is not a novel
This is not kickboxing
Nor is it physical exercise
(although standing on a crowded moving train for forty-five minutes is an exercise in patience)
This is not the nest egg I am depleting
This not the meeting with the Executive Vice President I have tomorrow
This is not a full time job
Nor is it an offer for one
This is not a holiday
(although today is both Cinco de Mayo and my mother's birthday)
Nor is it a vacation
This is not a rebel yell
(although the closest thing yet)
This is not literature
(at least not to date)
Nor is it an art project
This is not my wife's idea of a good time
This is not a reason to scream
(although second closest so far)
This is not my morning apple
It is barely a poem
And that's fine with me

As to not confuse the subject:
This is a chapter break
A new horizon
A festive list
A dirty joke
A brave attempt
A little lonely
A signature moment
A voluminous breath
A peek at greatness
A sigh of defeat
A naked neighbor
Shock and awe
Barely awake
Too cool for school
A heavenly father
A broken piece of bread

To continue on the same train:
This is a beautiful girl
That smells really good
This is a phone call
That goes on forever
This is an ageless wonder
That sucker punches
This is the rhythm of angels
Believe me when I tell you
This is too much perfume
On a bloodless corpse
This is paperwork
That you know by heart
This is a driving test
For your youngest child
This is popcorn
And a movie
This is Sparta
Not really

In a bold move:
I will break things up
Shake things down
Break things apart
Separate subjects
Retain integrity
Blush accordingly
Get the willies
Offer hope
Leave you alone
Think of who you are
But not too much
Let my head wander
In and out of strangers
attempt new words
Mostly rely on tried and true
Get blue in the face
And serenade fiction

If ever a time:
Now;
(before was great)
(it usually is)
(mystifying)
(whatever we want)
(it to be)
(in our most fragile self)
To stop wearing so much goddamn perfume
Stop being the guy with the expensive car
The fool on the hill
(there are no hills left)
To humbly love
That which loves you
And embrace a poem
Once in a while
--
5.5.08

Comments