The Alamo

The Alamo
Is the the house I see
Everyday around Freeport
Could be a convalescent home
It's big enough to be

Probably just a home
And just as well
Because being right there
Near the train
Would tempt the weak ones

Something about that place
Reminds me of Florida
Faded white concrete
Stucco mud
Squarely chinning the sun

In the Alamo
I could be myself
The self I think I should be
Cuban coffee and ferns
Barefoot clutching one of a kind ceramic

Beyond that front door
There's got to be five rooms
Maybe even six or seven
Each room a museum
Hosting a different diorama

A fixer upper
Is what they'd call it
Neighbors all ethnic
Pit bulls roaming the streets at night
A place where ice cream trucks park

Maybe it's two homes
It's big enough to be
One filled with stuffed animals
And the other full of infant dreams
Most of them mine now

A box with a stiff drink
Peeling from exposure
Candy to my eye
A locked chest for my soul
Barely respectable but good enough

Starship flagship courtship
Battle ram castle approved
Radiating hissing heat
Swallowing time and gulping peripheral
Eyesore stagnant stubborn

Somewhere in Miami
There is a corner
Missing a friend
Cinder block compassion
Longing for some shade

Back when this was something
More than bleached brick
Someone favored solace
Left it there to fester
Right where I can find it
--
1/29/09

Comments