Heaven to Betsy

In a big ol' new glass box o' change
Sittin' top a right 'nother one a them boxes
With those pretty corners and edges
Ain't no chance in heck that style's gonna get old
Not this ten years

If you try to stop this here movement
It'll bowl you over it will
It's a hustlin' quake of vibration
It'll shake the spirit from your bones
Nothin' left of you but a limp sack a chains
Clinkin' and clankin'
Just like an ol' sack filled with bruised fruit for smash-up pie and
twenny dollars in bus fare

Next time you see me
I'll be high falootin'
With a king size hat
And a bottle a somethin' amazin'
All those places you couldn't get off to look at
When you was ridin' the common cars
I'll be havin' a house set back on each a them lawns
All nurtured and cared for
I'll be lettin' people take pictures of the first new neighbor in ten
years

After all that with findin' true love and all
I won't even 'member why I was ever sad
Won't even 'member what alone was like
Some kinda bad dream of a carnival street fair
With gears whizzin' and grindin'
Chinkin' and stickin'
Panels all a flappin' like dead sails
Beached up on some alley like a lost canal
Paint a chippin' and latches all rusted over
All that mess with buzzin' and hawkin'
Never get a good night's sleep with that stuck in yer head
Might as well surrender to the drink

I might even paint me a big ol' picture
Or have one done up for me
Just a big ol' paintin' of my head
Like all serious like
Put it up like a billboard
For e'r one to see
Just me lookin' at you
Only real real big like
So as to make you feel small
Maybe even a lil' bit scared
But maybe you look up and feel proud
If you knew that bum ten solid years ago
He was a bum
A real stinkin' dog
And my charity billboard won't say nothin'
Just sit there
Starin' you down
--
3.31.09

Comments