Evidence

Dearest Friend,
For competitive purposes
Sadly, there are no landmines over here
It's a shame you can't smell that
Anything that sweet has got to be bad for you
Toxic assets is all you here about these days
Populate the numbers
Middle East
No place to lockdown the economy
There is no lockdown
Loss leader
The way we do the formatting
We're not going to get a response
Just drop in the numbers
Draft the email and shoot it
After this, it's not rest, it's just nothing
File under: why did I quit smoking

Dearest Friend,
I am so far from my food
From harvest to plate
I can't imagine a cabin
With a little case
Filled with paints
And brushes and junk
We were never really that good
I was never that good
I see cheap suits and I object
I see nice suits and I objectify
People comment - they like descriptive language
They like painted qualities
Never give them what they want
They hate you for it later
Not you, dear friend
People get mad at you for borrowing things for too long
Or not attending a birthday party
That said, I know you feel the same stresses
That of stagnant water
A creepy feeding of the beast
A village of women out of control
A town hall of judgement
A careless father
Mother with vanishing promise

Dearest Friend,
As I translate woe
I can honestly say
I may be happiest on a train
I know the rules, too
You can disappear
But you have to give everything away
You have to give it all
Then there is no cabin
No second car to get you to the cabin
Maybe a lonesome disease
Some last great challenge
Maybe a bottle to the head
Everything goes upside down
Question: Why did I stop moving
Question: Why did I let myself stop
I don't know
Not everyone was built for a suit
Sometimes bald is beautiful
In both cases, I am neither
This much I know
So I refrain from wearing suits
And I am dreading the loss of hair

Dearest Friend,
Don't worry
I know when I give advice I sound righteous
That's how it goes
We all give advice that we should take
We all slip into the shade for a drink
We all scratch our own itch
The difference today
Is that there are several billion people
That would rather be doing what we are doing
And we know better than to stand still like this
We know where the open road meets a junction
You always put a flag
Or you stay on the open road
Those are the rules

Dearest Friend,
All our flags are gone
They were placed in a circle
Creating an arena
And the lions got them
Chewed them down to stake
We knew better than to drop flags in a ring
We knew how to not become fast food fast
Instead of fire we chose battery
Now: With a fucking battery attached to my back
On a lonesome road
Sadly, there are no landmines over here
--
10.22.09

Comments