Walking to work

Walking to work
A new found peace
Leaves on the ground
Lasting several snows
Stenciled shapes on sidewalk stones
Inside houses school kids scurry
To get their clothes on in time
Out here the birds barely chirp
Their steamy breath to be held
Close to the chest
Snow that looks soft is hard
After thawing and icing up
A handful of times
Twenty minutes is all it takes
To get to the train
Along the way I play a game
Holding my breath when the school buses pass
Starting with a deep full breath
Held in chambers
Squeaking from the inside
Until I must exhale
A little at first
Then some more
Then again until all is off my chest
With a tingling in my head
I am emptied
I inhale through my nose
Just enough to smell the exhaust
I lost again
Since I can't seem to hold my breath for that long
--
1.11.10

Comments