My One and Only

I tried being supportive
In the way that I have become accustomed
After taking my handrail for snowshoe
I know you are the only one who cares

I included a buffet
And roundtrip transportation
I came bearing gifts
All of which is to say
I was left with sludge in my gas tank
And a grab bag of broken toys
You and you alone have serviced me

I pretended to be off kilter
Off colour
Offended
And can honestly say now
That I am oven kilned
Black brown
Bear clawed
Festered with thorns
And I would like to thank your academy

After breaking the glass
And completely missing the boat
Standing on my own two feet
On top of your two feet
After blazing a trail
And buttering a biscuit
Leaving it up to god
Heaving it up to god
Shoving it inside god
I am convinced that your baloney has a first name

On my journey to the center of the journey
I remembered how much I like hats
Hats that you like to look at
I remembered the smell of flowers
Any kind really
Especially ones that cast a net for breath
And strangling the air with what has become a concentration of campy gas
Allows me to suck air easy
Take down wine in gulps
Eat meats with high concentrations of fat and salt
Accept myself as a convict
With bright blue wings
Growing from my snow
All red-breasted robin
And pink tulip
Rosemary ham
And monoxide
A dual exhaust pony
Thrusting in pistil
Sharing the perfect mustard
You revived me
Put bolts in my neck
A forked track in my feet
On one end of a table
Chugging toward the edge
On an ellipse
With floss and baggie as parachute
In case you wound me up too much
But I trust you
With a bad limp
And growing teeth at my achilles
I ask that you blow smoke at my donkey
And feed my birds rain
Because you are my storm front
My back porch
My aching back yard
A serenade of locusts
Digging for roots
Long since dried and sold as clothespins
You are my tattered flag
My Nantucket
My cloudy musket
My clogged chimney
Without you there is only wet heat
Miserable kelp
Chopped liver sport
Loverfists
--
2.12.10

Comments