Subterraneous

Gotcha
Lost in time
Knew you were around
Heard it from a friend
Once, tried to troll you out
But you, subterraneous
I, sifting through details
Then, choosing not to review
Snapshot, boat ride, destiny
Preferring to embellish
But, scents attached:
Old cotton, birth wrought tan skin, pumpkin
And, guidelines:
Iron wrought, frilly nightgowned, pristined
Like your dad, classic carred
Like your mom, black and white and read all over, portfolioed
Then I, stowed away, stowawayed
Us, sequestered
Quarantined
Nested

With enough freshwater
For a return
But not a prolonged visit
I left brokenhearted
Unfinished
Seaweeded, brined, gasolined
These friends
A harsh reminder
My deployment
Away from you
My banishment
Was unspoken
Unworded
Never penned
Occurring naturally
In my own mind
Yours, the one in question
Acting in self preservation
Always insulated
From heat, exhaust, tarnish
Stay shiny, skipper
I will continue to cut cloth
and think of your basin
Where we first learned to dive
and float
and connect two things
Unlikely to be joined
Except for a moment
Before the water made wrinkles
And the cotton was replaced
--
2.23.10

Comments