Transition Coupling

Going to the hardware store
Early
Before work
To pick up a small pipe connector
Proves to be rewarding
Never having done any repair that requires the water to be shut off

Thinking about working
With water
As the main proponent
Either the routing of
Or the containing of
Sounds exciting
And perhaps I could stand
To learn about it
We all could

Seeing the men lined up outside the store
Waiting to get picked up
For day labor
Reminds me that I sit in an office
And collect a check
I don't worry
About my family
Making ends meet
I only worry
About living
Beyond our means
The means of a day worker
Coming out of the ether
Here and there
But strangely dinner is served
At the same time

A small piece of pipe
Half an inch around
Can spread a lot of water
Very quickly
Depending on pressure
Flow and seals
Its direction unknown
Until someone makes it so
Down being the inevitable beginning
To the end
Up being the eventual crux of the cycle
Even the outside of a pipe
Gets condensation
In a sweaty environment
Water on the inside
Attracting water on the outside
With two temperatures
Creating two environments

All that I am
Spending most of my time down
My crux as a high
Being directed and redirected
My flow navigated
Proper pressure maintained
Keeping the seals in good working condition
But intuitively
Yearning
To flow among a greater body
Free to spread
Over obstacles
Through chasms
Tumbling and tossing
Only
Not forever

At the end
A slow trickle
Stream or brook
Sounds just fine
One day
Without vessel
Redirected
In tune with surroundings
Amidst a great reckoning

Until then
There is day labor
For some
And a desk for me
And pipes tucked neatly in the walls

If a leak is found in time
Before it causes great damage
Before the eventual softening of foundation
The ultimate repair
Saving everything built
Before it crumbles to the ground
Not really that bad
But easy enough to fix
--
4.5.10

Comments

Jessica said…
Thanks for reminding me to take care of my own leaky spigot out front :)