all the time in the world

I have been keeping my cell phone out of my pants pocket and away from my testicles
Choosing to store the device in a jacket pocket closer to my vital organs

Confronted by the choice to work on a personal growth project or watch television
I choose television, hands down, every time
The same goes for any project with loose deadlines or group efforts

I prefer to waste away all my money on useless small things that will eventually be trash
Instead of saving for a headstone or paying down the mortgage
Let some other tool do what they say on the news
I have all the time in the world

I found a patient spouse that allows me to make mistakes
I often criticize her mistakes openly
Yet, she refuses to drop the hammer back down against me
In this way, we are both allowed our shortcomings
One day, I will make a hard right and veer away from my judgements
I hope there is no one in the swale
If there is, I hope they thought they had all the time in the world
It makes things that can happen in an instant seem so random and isolated

When my hair falls out on top
And my back finally caves from all the lazy hunching I participate in
I will curl up in a cozy chair and read every book I ever wanted to pretend to understand
Maybe my wife will make me an Arnold Palmer
Maybe my son will pat me on the back and say, "way to stretch things out knowing all along that you had all the time in the world"

If I get lost in the moments
Staring at my boy who is presently learning to absorb this world in parts
Please excuse me
I don't know how to disengage
Because this is all the time in the world and all the time that I have
--
3.16.11

Comments