You Must Eat What You Bring

When the coffee tastes like dragon blood,
I sing your praises.
Not because you made it,
but because the elixir makes me feel strong and so,
I must admit,
it is all chemical.

Our tug of war,
playful enough,
and covered in sinful silks
marking who is winning
and for how long,
is just a rally --
nothing more.

The real housewives of orange complexion,
defending recipes that span centuries,
and somehow end on a scoured note,
like keeping Beethoven time on pots and pet names and pans.
All of us hovering around ninety-six beats per everything.

So, as I was saying, my love,
your pilgrimages to and from the kitchen,
and our long drives to the tropics,
nary a predicate,
divide our time into beats.
And, in this way,
the ballet class continues,
in Balanchine,
like a one-two-three-four, a one
and three, four.
--
3.11.13

Comments