New Wheels

Like a kid
With a sugar plum pillow
Head all star bursts and
Perfectly twisted tire swing chains
I awaken to new wheels
Four, on a stiff board
It's heaven

Hot sidewalk
Polyurethane
All I could do to keep contained was sleep
My attention swayed from morning talks
Pretending to be deep in thought
Then hit the showers
And I'm off

Dreaming big
Spinning flips on curbs
It's been a long time coming
Twenty-five years and thirty-five pounds
I better take it easy
Lest a broken arm
It's worth it

Summer sweat
Weighed in liquid nails
Collected in a jar for fall
When all prior efforts are parceled
Bundled for the white pageant
A threat of cover
Peaceful hush

Do not cry
I will find new wheels
Or some other cheap thrilling
A street adventure awaits in coal
The potential to be used
Taken up and spent
Burned longways
--
7.9.13

Comments